Tuesday, March 2, 2010

SLICE OF LIFE #2: Clean Up Your Room!




In the past few years I have learned to love working with kindergarten children. You never know what they are going to say and they are so free. Today I needed to pull some sample writing from students. Naturally, I chose kindergarten writing! I was in an elementary building where I have worked with a kindergarten class, so I went to visit that class to borrow their writing.


In that room was one of my favorite authors...Abigail. Her book went like this: "Yesterday my rom was a mas. My mom, sad...Kegn up yor rom. I keb up my rom. Teu you Abigail. Tuin in."

Translation: Yesterday my room was a mess. My mom said...clean up your room! I cleaned up my room. Thank you, Abigail. The end.


The illustrations were bright with lots of details. when I talked to her about her book she had a picture of someone in bed and another person alimbing a ladder beside her. She said that was her sister in bed and her older sister climbing the ladder to the bunk bed. She told me the whole story of what happened that night. Then she said, "That is my next story!"



I love kindergarten writers...always thinking!

No comments: