Tuesday, March 17, 2009

SLICE OF LIFE: Day 17/31---Where I'm From


SLICE OF LIFE: DAY 17/31



Today was training for our Elemetary Literacy Framework or E.L.F. In the 3rd-5th grade section they talked about writers' notebooks. One of the exercises that they had everyone do was to take George Ella Lyons' poem: Where I'm From and try it out in their notebooks. Naturally, even as one of the coaches, I did it too. I thought that would make a perfect Slice of Life. Here it is:

I am from small towns
and country fields with streams running through
I'm from adventures with Ellen
And Sunday School with Sara.
I'm from tomato fields and migrant workers
The swing set in the back yard
And pony in the barn.

I'm from baby sitting jobs
And basketball games
I'm from 4-H, Girl Scouts, and Youth Group
I'm from church camp and Girl Scout camp
From ripping out stitches in skirts
And making pineapple upside down cake
From teasing Dale and Detroit cousins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Kathy!