Monday, April 30, 2012

Running With Dave

Tomorrow is the day that I planned on starting my running training for the Peachtree Road Race 10K.  It is in Atlanta on the 4th of July. Being a 10K, that means it is a 6.2 mile race.   Being in Atlanta, that means it will be full of hills. Being on the 4th of July, thst means it will be the biggest party in Georgia. Yes, 60,000 of your friends running along side you in the Atlanta heat. They don't call it Hotlanta for nothing!

I have been walking four-six miles a day all winter along with working out for 15-30 minutes on the elliptical. I am hoping that will help with the transition to running. I will start out with walking/running the two-mile route I usually take on my walks. I have been running this race for many years, so I feel I am capable of knowing what to do to get in shape for this hot race. 

I am fortunate to have two running partners to train with.  One is my husband, who will run the race with me.  We like to run together in the race and keep close to each other. With 60,000 runners, that is almost a must...at least for us. My other running partner is our two-year old golden retriever, Dave. He loves to take walks with us, so running with us will be fun for him, too.  When I go with him alone, I take him on a leash. It is a retractable one, so he can still run ahead of me. He has been trained at the Fort Wayne Obedience Training Club, so he is smart about his running.

Running with Dave creates challenges. I must be sure to watch him and not let him over extend himself. Goldens are known as pleasers, so I have to be sure he is running smart, not just trying to please me. I never let him run when it is too hot. That's okay because we usually do our runs in the early morning before the sun is even up. That helps with no people around. Goldens are also known as people dogs!

As we get started with our training and go about our journey to Peachtree, I will keep you informed as to how Dave, my husband and I do!

No comments: