Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Slice of Life Day 21: TIPS FOR RETIREMENT!

Today we went to lunch with a friend who retired last year.  We asked her to give us some tips for retirement.  With those tips, I decided to collect more tips from things others have told me when they find out I am retiring this year.  Here are TEN tips that I have collected. 

  1. Don't commit to anything the first year.
  2. Remember, summer doesn't end in August.
  3. Read whatever you want!
  4. Don't do anything you don't want to do.
  5. Life is short, play with your dog.
  6. Write, write, write!
  7. Spend time with the grand kids.
  8. Make memories.
  9. Collect your stories.
  10. Enjoy every moment doing whatever you want!
 If you have more for me, add them to your comment!

4 comments:

Lee Ann Spillane said...

I love those retirement tips. I am between 6-11 years away (19 year teacher). One thing I've noticed in my parents' retired lives is volunteerism. Find a cause. Donate some time. Work to make the world a better place. That's just one thing--and maybe not as fun as the others (like writing! and reading whatever you want).

Deanna H said...

Great tips! I remember when my mom retired. She kept waking up early every morning and it drove her nuts. It took awhile for her body to get used to not having an alarm clock anymore.

Sprice said...

Most interesting! I am near it and haven't decided what I plan to do, but I have thought about volunteering too. Reading and writing come to mind too. I wish I had done more of it. Thanks for sharing! Happy Slicing! :)

Lori said...

I came into teaching later, so my retirement some of my friends who started right out college are thinking of the next step and I know I'll miss them so much. Find a way to keep in touch