Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday's Slice of Life: My List of Favorites


Today the three of us who are retiring this year received a message. It was a message from someone who is hosting our Open House Retirement party. She asked us to send her a list of our favorite story books. We wrote back and asked: "Our favorite books from when we were young, or our favorite books when we were in the classroom?"  She said...BOTH!

Now I need to make a list!  Where do I start? As I look at my two bookshelves loaded with books, my tubs along the floor with books lined in them, and as I look at my favorite books nestled in a basket by my overstuffed reading chair, I think....how can I make just a list?

Well, here goes:
  • Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary because I always read it to my second graders
  • Charlotte's Web by E.B. White I would also read this one
  • Thank you, Mr. Falker by Patricia Pollacco I first heard this read by JoAnn Portalupi and loved it
  • Scarecrow by Cynthia Rylant I have heard Katie Wood Ray read this many times and always hear her voice whenever I read it
  • Shortcut by Donald Crews one of my favorite books to teach in writing workshop
  • My Big Dog by Janet Stevens and Susan Stevens Crummel another writing workshop book
  • Dog Heaven by Cynthia Rylant one of my favorite dog books
  • Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran because it makes me feel young again
  • Saturday and Teacakes by Lester Laminack because I love Lester and it is about a grandmother
  • The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson because it gives me hope
Naturally, I could pick out every book on my shelf, in my tubs and in my baskets. I just absolutely love ALL books!!!!!




1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.