Thursday, May 3, 2012

Hooked On A Really Great Book: Defending Jacob

Sometimes you pick a book because of what a reviewer has said. Sometimes you pick a book because of the blurb on the back. Sometimes you pick a book after reading a few pages. For our Book Club which will be in June, we picked this book because of what people were saying.

It seemed that people in our office were reading this great book. Judi said, "I can't wait to get home tonight. My book is on the counter and I only have 50 pages to go and I still don't know who did it."  Later, Barb said, "You ought to read this book. It is amazing. You can't put it down."

That's when I suggested it to our book club. Since no one had any other ideas, we chose Defending Jacob as our June book.  I went home and immediately bought it. However, I had a couple other books to finish, so I didn't get right to it when it came in the mail. 

In the meantime, Connie joined our book club and purchased the book. She DID start reading it right away.  She would say things like, "I haven't read a book just for me for a long time. I have just been reading professional books for work. This is great!"  The next day she came in and said, "I feel like I'm doing something illegal. I can't stop reading." Then she came in and said, "Wow! That book is great. I need to talk to someone who finished it, right NOW!" And off she went to talk to Judi and Barb.

I couldn't wait another day. I went home and started the book. The next morning Mary said, "I'm going to get that book, too." Sure enough she did and began reading after I had a few chapters read.

I am now only 150 pages shy of finishing the book. I can't stop. When I am not reading it, I am thinking about it. I wait for the news to start talking about it because it seems so real. Oh, by the way, Mary finished the book last night and now Tammy is reading Mary's copy!

If you haven't read Defending Jacob, don't start unless you want to get hooked on a really great book.  See you later...I'm going to go read!!!!






No comments: