Saturday, June 7, 2008

Peachtree Here We Come

One of my goals for the summer is to run another Peachtree Road Race 10K in Atlanta, GA. We have run this race for 15 years...this will be our 16th. I have the t-shirts to prove it. We got up early this morning to do a training run. We are not where we would like to be on our training, but we are trying!

I thought it would be fun to blog about my trails of training for a 10K race deep in the hills of the south. For a little background here...a 10K race is a little over six miles. Atlanta is VERY hot in July. The race will be on July 4th. They call Atlanta: Hotlanta at this time of year because of the heat and humidity. Oh, did I mention there are 55,000 runners in this race?

Today The Big D and I got out early and ran/walked two miles. It was not an easy run. I did my stretches and we started out slowly. We did run farther before walking than we have before. The weather was hot and humid, perfect for getting ready for Atlanta. We have a long way to go before we feel we can successfully complete the race. On the brighter side, we did do two more walks during the day. That gave us a total of six miles.

I have been walking about six miles each day...two mile run/walks in the morning and another long four miler in the afternoon. I should have a total of 30+ miles this week. That along with doing weight lifting for upper body, will help me be ready to tackle this chore. I know, I only have less than a month to be ready to hit those hills. Hopefully, I can stay focused and do it. I will keep you posted.

No comments: