Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Book Clubs For All Ages

Last night was special. I spent all afternoon cleaning and cooking. I had fun planning the events of the evening. At 5:50 it was all set and ready for company. It was the night of my book club.
My new reading space!
Not only would my friends get to see my new 'space' for the first time, but we would also talk about books! We are all teachers or retired teachers, so reading is very important to us. Our book this month was Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand the author of Seabiscuit. It was longer that usual and a nonfiction book. We all loved it It's one of those books that help the reader become a better person just by reading it. The discussion we had was emotional. A couple of us remembered our fathers and how they had been in World War II...like the character in this biography. We all related stories about people we knew who had fought battles in their lives. We were sharing what helped us comprehend the book.


This is what we want students to be able to do. We want them to enhance their comprehension. Being part of a book club helps us do that. If you're not part of a book group, I would recommend it. Sometimes you might not have time to finish the book. Just hearing how the discussion goes helps to transfer real life strategies to the classroom, so I would say...Go Anyway!

Our book for next month is a new novel by Mitch Albom...The Time Keeper. All of us had read books by him, so we are excited to get started on this new one!  Happy Reading!


No comments: