The title is: Write Like This, Teaching Real-World Writing Through Modeling & Mentor Texts. Right now I am only on chapter 3 because I am reading it deeply (close reading). The thing I love the most is all the practical ideas. It is like having a writing mentor right beside me. The exercises are something a teacher could introduce to his/her class or a writing coach could use in a presentation.
One of my favorites from Chapter 2 was: Moving Students into Expressive and Reflective Writing. To begin this project he begins with the six-word memoir (see http://www.smithmag.net) Students are asked to write their memoirs in exactly six words.
Here are a couple from the online magazine:
- All things considered, I am doing well.
- The past is forgiven, not forgotten.
- So the water's deep. Man up.
- Teach, grade, travel, speak, write: tired
- Feed Dave. Walk Dave. Great dog!
- Counting the days until I retire!