Wednesday, February 29, 2012

From the Mouth of Babes!

 Yesterday I had the chance to visit my grandson's classroom while visiting the coaches in his building.  After I had a little chat with him about how his day was going, I left the room and thanked his teacher.  She proceeded to tell me a couple of great stories about him.
   
      The first story took place one morning after the class had recited their daily pledge.  Right after it was over my grandson walked up to her and said, "Miss Carrie, I have a question."  When she asked him what it was, he said, "Who is Witch Itstands?"  She asked him to repeat it a couple times.  He said, "You know we talk to him every morning!"   She then understood that he was thinking: For which it stands.  She explained what that meant and hoped that he understood the meaning now.  He just shook his head and said, "I just don't get it!"

        The next story took place in their reading block time.  My grandson was reading silently the book: To Think It Happened on Mulberry Street.  After reading for awhile, he began talking to himself.  This is what he mumbled...."Boy, if that street is real, I want to live there!"  I think that is what Ellin Oliver Keene calls...setting empathy in comprehension.  Way to go Adrian!!!!


No comments: