Friday, March 1, 2013

Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers

Time for another professional "book talk". When this book came out, I just knew I had to have it. First, of all, the author, Penny Kittle, is one of my favorites! I love her books! I love when she comes to speak at our All Write Summer Institute. I just love her! So, even though I'm retired...I bought Book Love! And yes, I love it!

Last week I was in my niece's sixth grade classroom in Utah and heard the same story I hear in classrooms in Indiana: "My students are great word callers, but they are fake readers!" Penny addresses that issue and talks about how we, as teachers, can help students develop a love for reading!

Her book tells us about building stamina and fluency. She helps students set goals. Penny knows what students need to be successful in college and she knows how to encourage them to get there. Even if you are an upper elementary or middle school teacher, you will be able to take what she says about stamina and apply it.

Even though I have sat at the feet of the master of conferencing, Carl Anderson, for many years, I still learned so much from Penny's chapter on conferencing during reading time. Samples of conferences, questions to ask, and types of conferences were all so helpful.

I really enjoyed her chapter on Book Talks. When she talked about the book Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, I knew I had to have it. Then when she showed how the students took that into their writing time, I was really hooked. I mean hooked---as in "getting out my writer's notebook and beginning my Encyclopedia of a Retired Teacher hooked". But, that's for another blog!

Let's just say, I am so enjoying this book! Penny just keeps sharing her wonderful ability to be herself and show (not tell) us her passion for books and kids!

See you this summer, Penny, at All Write's Summer Institute!  

No comments: