The main character has a facial deformity which prevented him from attending school until he was in fifth grade. Now, you know what fifth graders CAN be like. The story is about how he tries to convince his classmates he is just like them. That's the summary of the story, but there's more...
One of the teachers Auggie, the main character, has gives the students a precept for the month. Here are a few:
- When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind. --Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
- Have no friends not equal to yourself--Confusius
- It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers---James Thurber
- Don't be friends with jerks.---Henry Joplin
- To thine own self be true.--Hamlet, Shakespeare
- If you can get through middle school without hurting anyone's feelings, that's really cool beans.---Summer Dawson, a student in the class
Need I say more????? Happy Reading!