Here's my sharing...
Fun is the most direct link to engagement.
Engagement is the most direct link to learning.
So, make learning fun!
That doesn't mean playing games all day, pictures or reading super easy books. It means giving children choices, letting them explore and investigate.
How to scaffold purposeful talk:
- Teach the art of conversation.
- Start with "thumbs up" to the chest when they want to talk---NO MORE raised hands!
- When a bunch of kids just jump in to talk---teach them to take turns. After one shares they say, " name , would you like to share your [learning, or questions, or wonderings]?" "Yes, thank you!"
- Be aware of their thinking
- Think strategically
- Recognize the power of their thinking
Turn information into knowledge by thinking about it.
Today's "new knowledge" is tomorrow's background knowledge. ---Pearson
That's enough for today! I'll share more in another blog. By the way, Stephanie's website is: www.stephanieharvey.com