Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Complex Text For The Common Core

I am Ivan.
I am a gorilla.
It's not as easy
as it looks...
 
Today I want to share with you the book I'm currently reading. I first heard about it from several people I follow on Twitter. This is a great Read Aloud book for 3rd-6th grade students. The title is:The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate.
 
The books' blurb says, "Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all."
 
The story goes on with Ivan meeting Ruby, a baby elephant. She makes Ivan see their home through new eyes. It is a story of friendship, art, and hope.
 
"Humans speak too much. The chatter like chimps, crowding the world with their noise even when they have nothing to say,"  says Ivan.
 
This book will be one teachers use as a complex text. It isn't a high lexile level book, but it is a deep meaning book.
 
Another way this book is one to add to your common core library is in technology. There is a trailer for this book, just like for a new movie coming out. You can show this to your students before you do your Read Aloud. The interest you will develop will have all students excited about reading!
 
So, join me in reading this life-affirming story!  Happy Reading!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy!! I was looking for the Lexile level for The One and Only Ivan for my daughter and found your blog! How fun!
She has to list the Lexile of this book...got a guess?

Sara Wertman:)